Wednesday 4 April 2018

"Come Out From Among Unbelievers" Or ??

(Originally journaled February 15, 2018)


2 Corinthians 6: 14-18:
"Don't team up with those who are unbelievers. How can righteousness be a partner with wickedness? How can light live with darkness? What harmony can there be between Christ and the devil? .... For we are the temple of the living God...
Therefore come out from among believers,
and separate yourselves from them, says the LORD.
Don't touch your filthy things,
and I will welcome you.
And I will be your Father,
and you will be my sons and daughters,
says the LORD Almighty."

Dear God, how far are we to take this "come out from among unbelievers"? This seems so harsh. How will they know we are Christians by our love if we aren't living Your love in relationship to them?

And how do we know whether or not others are truly seeking and following You--and when what they believe seems perhaps quite similar to my beliefs but is different in some points--and even whether or not I myself am truly seeking and following You? It just seems like this is a lot more complex than this scriptural advice might suggest.

Am I to totally avoid people who claim to be Christians but have what seem to be "fringe" beliefs--or whose lives, political leanings, even church services seem to have bought into the surrounding culture? Or? Am I to totally avoid people who are not believers? How then do I reach out with the gospel? And what if I'm not even sure about what I believe and whether or not I'm really on Your path?

Please, please show me Yourself, show me Your truth, show me Father, Jesus, and your Holy Spirit. Help me to trust You, seek You, obey You, follow You. Please give me discernment. Please give me Your wisdom.  I want to trust You, no matter how things seem to me. I don't want to judge others, but leave judgment to You. How does that fit in with "coming out"?


No comments: